Some of you may remember when Fox News fired conservative radio personality Todd Starnes for saying that Democrats worship a god who supports child sacrifice. Today, court evangelical Franklin Graham came on his new show to talk about the impeachment of Donald Trump. Listen here.
A few highlights:
- Graham starts out with some American “history.” He says about Trump: “there has never been a president in history that has been attacked like he has from day 1.” Really? What about this. Or this?
- He once again says that the opposition to Trump, specifically the women’s march on the day after the election, is “almost like it’s demonic.” Starnes agrees with him: “I have never seen such hate and such anger…there is something unnatural about all of this.” Graham then asks Americans to pray in order stop these demonic attacks. I would have to go back and look more closely, but I can’t recall this kind of spiritual warfare language ever used by any mainstream evangelical figure in American history.
- Graham has a short memory. He said that when Barack Obama was elected president, Americans all “hoped he did well.” We could spend a lot of time contesting this, but I just want to point out that Donald Trump, the man who will be impeached tomorrow, did not hope Obama “did well.” In fact, he questioned his citizenship.
- Graham openly admits that Trump committed a quid pro quo. He thinks what Trump did was right. Graham goes so far as to say that Trump was withholding aid from Ukraine to stop the Ukrainian government from giving the aid to the Bidens.
- Graham believes that all the blame for our divided country rests with the Democrats. How is this man of God incapable of seeing Trump’s role in such division? It is like he is brainwashed.
- Graham says that God’s judgement is coming upon the United States because of abortion and LGBTQ (he compares this to Sodom and Gomorrah). These are longtime Christian Right talking points. His father used to say similar things about communism.