You can sense the fear and anxiety in Robert Jeffress’s voice. He is speaking with more urgency. He is getting louder. The fearmongering is growing. The pastor of the First Baptist Church is doubling-down on his “civil war” comments he made Sunday on Fox News and he is trying to scare conservative evangelicals with his apocalyptic language. Yesterday he was back on the Todd Starnes Show on Fox News. Watch:
A few things worth highlighting quickly:
- Jeffress calls Trump a Christian “warrior.”
- Jeffress says: “If the Left gains control of this country again our nation is finished.”
- Jeffress is now mocking Nancy Pelosi’s call to pray for the county with a baby-voice imitation.
- Jeffress says that the Democrats worship both a “god of their imagination” and the Old Testament god “Moloch, who talks about child sacrifice.”
- Jeffress still has not addressed what Trump did in the phone call to the Ukrainian president. So far, it appears that the court evangelicals defense of Trump in this season of impeachment inquiry boils down to them going on Twitter and conservative media outlets yelling “The Left! The Democrats! Socialists! Civil War!”
Expect the culture war to heat-up in the next few months.
And for more Jeffress coverage, check out Robert Wilonsky’s piece at The Dallas Morning News.
One more point. Jeffress has been everywhere lately. He is on Fox News, CBN, and talking to reporters. When does he carry-out his pastoral role at First Baptist–Dallas? Are members of his congregation concerned that their pastor, charged with the spiritual care of the congregation, is a political pundit?