Commitment to Viewpoint Diversity, Mutual Understanding, and Constructive Disagreement
In order to create a classroom environment that supports respectful, critical inquiry through the free exchange of ideas, the following principles will guide our work:
- Treat every member of the class with respect, even if you disagree with their opinion;
- Bring light, not heat;
- Reasonable minds can differ on any number of perspectives, opinions, and conclusions;
- Because constructive disagreement sharpens thinking, deepens understanding, and reveals novel insights, it is not just encouraged, it is expected;
- All viewpoints are welcome;
- No ideas are immune from scrutiny and debate;
- You will not be graded on your opinions.
What do you think?