Apparently the President of the United States and the Vice-President of the United States plotted to pull a political stunt at yesterday’s Colts-49ers game.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 8, 2017
So let’s get this straight:
- These two guys are spending their time discussing how to use the NFL player protests on racial inequality for their own political advantage. This is grandstanding at its worst.
- Does Pence really believe that these NFL protests are about the American flag or the national anthem?
- Pence knows how to take orders. He is the court evangelical of all court evangelicals. I would love to know if the United States or Donald Trump has ever done something that would force him to choose his identity as a Christian over his patriotism.
- Pence made all the Indianapolis Colts fans come early to the stadium and go through extra security when he knew darn well that he would be leaving before the start of the game.
- It is likely that Pence spent well over $200,000 in taxpayer money to pull off this stunt.
- Please, please, please don’t tell me that Trump and Pence “want to bring this country together” when they pull stunts like this.
- Hard-core Trump supporters who practice the religion of patriotism will love this stunt. Even worse, I know evangelical Christians who claim to worship a God who transcends national identities who will cheer this stunt. When these people see the image I have posted above their chests will swell and their hearts will beat faster. Patriotism is not wrong, but the kind political anger they feel–the same kind of anger expressed during their “lock her up” chants at Trump rallies–is sinful.
Here is Gregg Doyel of the Indianapolis Star:
INDIANAPOLIS – North Korea and its nukes can wait. The White House has declared war on the NFL. And on the First Amendment.
Two weeks after President Trump decreed that NFL players who kneel during the national anthem should be fired, Vice President Mike Pence walked out of Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday after about 20 members of the San Francisco 49ers knelt during the anthem. The 49ers were in town to play the Indianapolis Colts.
Pence was in town to upstage Peyton Manning.
What, you think he didn’t know the 49ers would kneel on Sunday? Pence knew. The 49ers are the one franchise, the only franchise, that have had at least one player kneel before every game since Colin Kaepernick was the first to do it in the 2016 preseason. Kaepernick played for the 49ers, of course. Last week, following Trump’s unpatriotic assertion that he would fire someone for exercising their First Amendment rights, more than half the San Francisco roster knelt.
Hell, the media members that follow Pence were told before the game not to bother leaving their vans and enter Lucas Oil Stadium, according to a tweet from NBC News Vaughn Hillyard. They wouldn’t be there long, because Pence wouldn’t be there long. Trump, as Trump is wont to do, took credit in a tweet for Pence’s walkout by saying he’d asked Pence to leave if anyone knelt.
This was planned.
Read the rest of the piece here.