Charlie Kirk is the twenty-six-year-old founder of a Turning Point USA, a pro-Trump non-profit organization active on college campuses. He is also the co-founder of Liberty University’s Falkirk Center. (You can read our posts on the Falkirk Center here).
Here is Kirk at the annual meeting of the Conservative Political Action Committee (CPAC):
- Kirk tells people to stop giving money to their universities because they are Marxist. The only universities that deserve our money are Liberty University and Hillsdale College. Such a suggestion is immoral. I have a friend who is getting cancer treatment right now at Johns Hopkins University Medical Center. They need all the money they can get to help continue their research. I am sure we can think of hundreds of other ways that research universities are at working solving the problems of our world today.
- Kirk says that colleges are producing Marxists activists who will one day destroy America. Has he really been on university campuses? Where are these activists? Most college students in the United States are sharing photos on Instagram, watching Netflix, working two part-time jobs, and trying to keep up with their studies.
- Kirk says that we should fear communists on school boards. Really? He should come visit central Pennsylvania. Please contact me if you know of any communists elected to local school boards.
- It is clear from Kirk’s speech that the Right sees Bernie Sanders as a real threat. When the Christian Right starts fear-mongering it is a clear sign they are worried. Bernie Sanders is not a communist or a Marxist. He is not even a real socialist. When I interviewed a real socialist on my podcast a few weeks ago he told me that no true Marxist would support Sanders because he is not far enough to the left.
- Kirk has a meltdown when the crowd boos Mitt Romney. He encourages the boos and then goes-off on a rant about how Romney lied to the people of Utah by claiming to be a conservative during his Senate race. In Kirk’s estimation, no one can be a true conservative and cast a vote to remove Donald Trump from office. But think about this. Romney’s vote to remove Trump was an example of faith-informed politics. It was made possible by the fact that the Utah Senator has the religious liberty to follow his conscience. Last time I checked, pro-Trumpers are fighting for a faith-informed politics and religious liberty. This is further proof that they only care about a faith-informed politics and religious liberty that benefits Trump.
- Kirk says Obama, the president who ran in 2008 and 2012 to the right of all the Democratic candidates in this year’s race, is a Marxist. This is not true. It is more fear-mongering.
- Finally, Kirk brings up the “7 Mountains of Cultural Influence” and claims that Trump understands them. First, I am guessing that Trump has never heard of the “7 Mountains of Cultural Influence.” Second, “7 Mountains” is a phrase used by Christian Dominionists who want to make America a Christian nation by taking control of family life, religious life, education, the media, the entertainment industry, business, and government. For many Dominionists, the Second Coming of Christ will return when Christians gain power over these areas. We spent a lot of time writing about this kind of Dominionism during the 2016 election and even won a journalism award for a piece on the subject at Christianity Today. Read our posts here. Right Wing Watch has a good story on this here.