There is so much here to work through and interpret.
A few quick findings of note:
- The average sermon is 37 minutes long.
- The average evangelical sermon is 39 minutes long.
- The average sermon in an African American church is 54 minutes long.
- The average sermon in a mainline Protestant church is 25 minutes long
- The average sermon in a Catholic church is 14 minutes long.
- The most common words in Christian sermons are “say,” “people,” “come,” “know,” “life,” “like,” “God,” “thing,” and “day.”
- Words associated with evangelicals such as “hell,” “salvation,” “sin, and “heaven” do not appear in evangelical sermons as much as one might think they do.
- Sermons in historically black churches are distinguished by words related to celebration and praise.
- Sermons in evangelical and historically black churches quote scripture more than sermons in Catholic and mainline Protestant churches
Read the report here.