On July 9, 1776, colonial soldiers pulled down a statue of George III on horseback located at Bowling Green, New York City. It is a famous story of revolutionary resistance. Most of the broken statue was sent to Litchfield, Connecticut where the lead was melted into musket balls.
But one part of the statue did not make it to Litchfield. The blog of the New York Historical Society tells the story of the horse’s tail. Here is a taste:
After the gold was removed, the broken statue was carted off to Litchfield, CT, where the 4,000 pounds of lead were supposed to be melted down into musket balls for the coming war. In all, over 40,000 balls were made, but some key segments went missing along the way: The head, for instance, was apparently returned to England, where it disappeared from record. As for other pieces, the legend goes that the cart’s drivers stopped in a tavern in Wilton, CT, and local loyalists took the opportunity to spirit some of the segments away—including the horse’s tail.
What happened to the tail after that is not known. Nearly 100 years passed before it and several other pieces were found in a swamp near a Wilton farm in 1871. They were irresistible artifacts of the American Revolution, and in 1878, members of the New-York Historical Society banded together to purchase the fragments for one hundred dollars. They’ve been in our collection ever since, and the horse’s tail is currently on view in our second floor Dexter Gallery.
Read the entire piece here.