Just kidding. I think the kids call this “clickbait.”
But I wouldn’t put it past Trump to do something like this. After all, he has said numerous times that the greatest presidential in American history took place on November 8, 2016.
Actually, Trump will be making changes to the traditional Washington D.C. July 4th celebration. Here is a taste of some reporting from the Washington Post:
President Trump has effectively taken charge of the nation’s premier Fourth of July celebration in Washington, moving the gargantuan fireworks display from its usual spot on the Mall to be closer to the Potomac River and making tentative plans to address the nation from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, according to top administration officials.
The president’s starring role has the potential to turn what has long been a nonpartisan celebration of the nation’s founding into another version of a Trump campaign rally. Officials said it is unclear how much the changes may cost, but the plans have already raised alarms among city officials and some lawmakers about the potential impact of such major alterations to a time-honored and well-organized summer tradition.
Fireworks on the Mall, which the National Park Service has orchestrated for more than half a century, draw hundreds of thousands of Americans annually and mark one of the highlights of the city’s tourist season. The event has been broadcast live on television since 1947 and since 1981 has been accompanied by a free concert on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol featuring high-profile musicians and a performance by the National Symphony Orchestra.
Read the rest here.
Some quick thoughts:
- I think I will watch the Boston Pops on PBS this year.
- Will there be more people in Washington D.C. on July 4th than were present at Obama’s inauguration? I am sure Trump will be keeping an eye on this. Also expect him to exaggerate the number who WILL show up.
- From a historical perspective, the most audacious and ironic part of this new plan is that Trump will give an address from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
- Trump clearly wants to make this event about him. He is hijacking the most sacred day on the calendar of American civil religion for a campaign speech.
- Trump has now turned Independence Day into a day of national disunity. I have no doubt that he will give a campaign-style speech that will drive another wedge into our already divided country. If Trump really cares about national unity and patriotism he should stay home. He has already forfeited the right to speak on behalf of “we the people.”