Yesterday I argued that Joe Biden has the best chance to beat Donald Trump in 2020. But I also realize that he will have a tough primary-season battle with the progressives in the Democratic Party. Over at FiveThirtyEight, Nate Silver makes the case for Biden:
- Former Vice Presidents usually win their party’s nomination. Check out Richard Nixon, Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale, George H.W. Bush, and Al Gore.
- Biden has a huge lead in the polls.
- Biden has the highest favorable ratings among all Democratic candidates.
- Biden is electable in November 2020
- Biden controls the most popular “lane” of Democratic voters.
Biden, of course, also has some liabilities. Silver covers them here.