Today I watched Representative Ilhan Omar’s speech on Islam, religious liberty, anti-Muslim bigotry at the Council of American-Islamic Relations.
Here is the controversial part of the speech:
Here’s the truth: far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen. And frankly I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it. CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and then all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.
I do not take Omar’s remarks here in a sinister way. Yet, Donald Trump chose to interpret them in that way. Here is his tweet:
WE WILL NEVER FORGET! pic.twitter.com/VxrGFRFeJM
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 12, 2019
Trump’s decision to post this video with the burning 9-11 towers doesn’t surprise me. Trump is an idiot and he is never going to change. But there are no doubt millions of Americans who are praising Trump for this tweet. They represent much of what is wrong with America right now. Some thoughts:
- The Omar quote Trump used here is woefully out of context. Let’s also remember that her entire speech focused on the difference between patriotic American Muslims and the Muslim extremists who attacked the U.S. on 9-11.
- Let’s also remember that Trump claimed that he saw “thousands” of people in Jersey City “cheering” as the World Trade Center “was coming down.” As we now know–this did not happen. It was yet another example of Trump’s embrace of a politics of fear. And then there was Trump’s comments a few hours after the World Trade Center fell. Instead of showing compassion for the lives lost in this tragic event, Trump was on the radio bragging that his building on Wall Street was now the tallest building in New York City. (In actually, is the 32nd tallest building in NYC). So let’s consider the source and the hypocrisy evident in this tweet.
- One can condemn both Trump’s tweet and Omar’s February 2019 tweet about Jews.
- This tweet is yet another appeal to Trump’s anti-Muslim white evangelical base as we get closer to the 2020 election. Expect to see much more of this garbage. Strongmen use fear to stay in power.
- In this tweet Trump exploited the families of those killed on 9-11 for political gain. Sadly, this is politics as usual. Despicable.
- The New York Post seized on Trump’s words, thus further degrading public discourse in America:
I still believe that a President should set the moral tone of a nation. (Wow, what a crazy idea!). Trump is a deeply immoral man who is incapable of leadership. Even if you think Omar should have been more specific in her condemnation of the 9-11 terrorists, we should not stand for this kind of gutter-politics from the President of the United States.
What saddens me the most, of course, is that white evangelicals played a major role in getting this man into the White House. I know not all white evangelicals who voted for Trump like this kind of rhetoric. I have met dozens of them on the road over the last year. But let’s not pretend that these voters don’t share responsibility for the mess Trump is making of our country. White evangelicals gave Trump this platform.