Yes, Canada has their own view of our American Revolution. Tristin Hopper of the National Post has a few issues with it.
- The colonists were fighting “one of the world’s most democratic nations.” (“Democratic” is a bit strong here. How about “liberty-loving” instead?)
- The war, however, did involve an “autocratic tyrant: Louis XVI, King of France.
- American colonists sparked the French and Indian War and then refused to pay for it.
- Canada tried to recognize native American land and “respect” Catholics, but these efforts were deemed “intolerable.”
- The American revolutionaries had a “pretty serious terrorism problem.”
- America’s “struggle for liberty” resulted in between 60,000 and 80,000 refugees to Canada.
See how Hopper unpacks these points here.