Too often the past is used and manipulated for partisan gain. Bernard Bailyn once called this “indoctrination by historical example.” This week The Nation is running a piece by Zachary Newkirk, a senior history major at Cornell University, listing eight ways that conservatives have misremembered American history. Since we strive to be “fair and balanced” here at “The Way of Improvement Leads Home,” I would like my readers to head to the comments section and offer examples of the ways liberals have misremembered history as well.
In the meantime, here is Newkirk’s list:
1. Michelle Bachmann on the founding fathers and slavery.
2. Secession was fine, dandy, and legal.
3. Forgetting September 11?
4. Mike Huckabee’s “Learn Our History” cartoon series.
5. The New Deal did harm.
6. David Barton (Thanks for the plug, Zachary!)
7. Textbook Textbook Revisions
8. Jim Crow wasn’t that bad.
I should note that we have addressed #1, #4, #6 and #7 here at the blog.
And now for the liberal misuses of history. Who is up for the challenge?