In September 1990 the Ellis Island Immigration Museum was first opened to the public. Ellis Island closed its doors to new immigrants in 1954 and then basically sat vacated for about thirty years before efforts were made to restore it. (The public was given limited access to the island between 1976 and 1984). The restoration of Ellis Island was the largest restoration project in United States history. Read more at New York History blog.
Faithful blog readers will remember that we took some students to Ellis Island last spring.